Setting up Laravel 5 on shared hosting server

UPDATE (7 Jan 2016): Added a final step for pointing domain to subfolder.

UPDATE (4 Apr 2016): I’ve received a number of enquiries with this setup. Please test it on your local environment first. Use homestead to create a domain with the same folder structure. If it’s working on homestead, it’ll most likely work on your shared server.

UPDATE (15 Jun 2016): Added some common problems found from the lovely comments. Scroll to the bottom to see

In this tutorial, I’ll show you some guide to deploy your Laravel 5 application onto a shared hosting server.

By default, the Laravel folder structure assumed that the public folder is within the application itself. This is the high level folder structure:

your_app_name
|--app
|--bootstrap
|--config
|--database
|--public
  |--assets
  |--index.php  <--we need to point here
|--resources
|--storage
|--tests
|--vendor

In an ideal scenario, you can simply point the web domain to the public folder so that the URL loads public\index.php.

However, in a shared hosting server, you are limited to putting your web serving files in a folder probably named public_html or www which is publicly accessible via web domain. You may be tempted to do this (NOT recommended):

shared_hosting_root_NOT_recommended
|--other_folders (not accessible via web domain)
|--public_html
  |--your_app_name
    |--app
    |--bootstrap
    |--config
    |--database
    |--public
      |--assets
      |--index.php  <--we need to point here
    |--resources
    |--storage
    |--tests
    |--vendor

You can then point your web domain to the public folder.

The problem with this is that your application is now publicly accessible and that may expose vulnerability. You cannot be sure if someone somewhere is able to access your config folder and look at all your sensitive information such as database credentials.

Instead, put your application root into a folder outside of public_html, and place only the public folder within public_html.

This is the recommended folder structure:

shared_hosting_root_recommended
|--other_folders (not accessible via web domain)
|--applications  (not accessible via web domain)
  |--your_app_name
    |--tests
    |--vendor
    |--deploy.sh <--we'll create this
|--public_html
  |--your_app_name
    |--assets
    |--index.php <-- we need to point here

In Laravel 4, you can easily tell your application that the public folder is now in another location by simply changing the file bootstrap/path.php. See point 9 of my Laravel 4 tutorial.

However, in Laravel 5, this file no longer exists. I’ll show you how.

1. Create a class to point to new location

Create a new file shared_hosting_root\applications\your_app_root\app\GoPublic.php

<?php namespace App;

class GoPublic extends \Illuminate\Foundation\Application
{
 /**
 * Get the path to the public / web directory.
 * @return string
 public function publicPath()
 {
 return $this->basePath.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'../../public_html/your_app_name';
}

We’re using relative path here so you don’t have to know the absolute path. But it is extremely crucial to follow the same recommended folder structure I’ve mentioned earlier.

Updated:

You may need to run the following command in your root folder to autoload the new class. Otherwise you will get an error saying the class cannot be found.

composer dump-autoload

2. Edit bootstrap\app.php

Now we need to tell our application the location of the new public folder. Open and edit your_app_name\bootstrap\app.php:

<?php

/* -- remove/comment this original code
$app = new Illuminate\Foundation\Application(
 realpath(__DIR__.'/../')
);
-- until here */

/* -- add this new code -- */
$app = new App\GoPublic(
 realpath(__DIR__.'/../')
);

As you can see above, we’re using the new class that we’ve created in step 1.

3. Edit public\index.php

You need to edit these 2 lines.

From line 21:

require __DIR__.'/../bootstrap/autoload.php';

to

require __DIR__.'/../../applications/your_app_name/bootstrap/autoload.php';

And from line 35:

$app = require_once __DIR__.'/../bootstrap/app.php';

to

$app = require_once __DIR__.'/../../applications/your_app_name/bootstrap/app.php';

4. Copy public to public_html

Now, copy the content inside applications\your_app_name\public into public_html\your_app_name.

To simplify the process, I would create a bash file to automatically copy the files to the new location.

Create a new file shared_hosting_root\applications\your_app_name\deploy.sh

#!/bin/bash
echo "Copy public folder to public_html/your_app_name"
rsync -rv ./public/ ../../public_html/your_app_name

Using rsync ensures that if you ever run this deploy.sh several times, only those that are newer will be copied to the new location.

When you’re ready to run it, in the terminal run:

?> cd applications\your_app_name
?> sh deploy.sh

Caution: You have to run deploy.sh within applications\your_app_name, otherwise it will fail.

5. Accessing your app

There are 2 ways of accessing your application from the hosting server. You need to follow either one of the following step depending on your setup.

5a) Using subdomain

The easier way of accessing your application is to set up a subdomain (e.g. your_app_name.example.com) and point it to your application folder (i.e. public_html/your_app_name). This should automagically work without much hassle.

5b) Using primary domain

The other (slightly more complex) way is to point your primary domain (e.g. example.com) to your application folder (i.e. public_html/your_app_name).

By default, the primary domain points to the folder public_html in most of the shared hosting environment.

To do that, you need to create (or edit if it’s already there) a .htaccess file inside the public_html folder.

# Do not change this line.
RewriteEngine on

# Change example.com to your domain name
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?example.com$

# Change your_app_name to the subfolder name
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/your_app_name/

# Don't change the following two lines.
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

# Change your_app_name to the subfolder name
# Change example.com to your domain name
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /your_app_name/$1
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?example.com$
RewriteRule ^(/)?$ your_app_name/index.php [L]

6. Em…

And that’s it.

I would also recommend using the same folder structure during your development so that you can experience the whole process of deployment before you upload to your hosting server.

Hope this helps!

7. Common Problems

There were a few cases of the following that may cause your Laravel 5 to not work on your live server:

1. Your PHP version is lower than 5.5.9. Laravel 5 requires PHP 5.5.9 and above.
  2. Your folder structure is different. Make sure your local test environment is exactly the same as your live server. Starting from your server’s root folder.
  3. Re-read the whole tutorial. I find that some of my codes were truncated, so make sure you copy and paste correctly. Try scrolling left and right to see the full code line. Sorry about that.

151 Comments

• Chace Hwanjoo Kim

December 9, 2015

This does not work in my case. I followed everything that you have done in this tutorial. Any suggestions? i get 403 forbidden errors..

December 9, 2015

Hi there. 403 error may be due to folder access permission. Have you tested the folder structure in your local environment? Also check that your “storage” folder is given full write permission.

• Chace Hwanjoo Kim

December 10, 2015

Thank you for your reply I got it working. In my case I had to configure my .htaccess to point to the subfolde. Great tutorial by the way keep up the good work! cheers

December 10, 2015

Glad it worked! 🙂

• Jeet Dholakia

June 25, 2016

Even after changing my .htaccess file I am still getting 4.3 for subfolder. Please help.

June 27, 2016

Hi, what’s 4.3? Do you mean 403?
          If it’s 403, you need to check if your app’s “storage” folder has write access. Also that the subfolder you’re pointing to must be within the public folder, e.g. “www” or “public_html” (depending on your hosting provider).

• Jeet Dholakia

June 27, 2016

Sorry that was typing mistake. It was 403 and I solved that error. I placed the .htaccess file in public_html folder but now the thing is the site is not showing me anything. You can check the site: http://www.askurpro.in

June 27, 2016

Have you tried echoing from your index.php and see if it produces anything? What’s your .htaccess look like? Did you try out your settings on a local environment with the same folder structure first?

June 27, 2016

• Umaha

January 6, 2016

I get 500 Internal Server Error. I followed everything to the letter. Any suggestions. Please this is kinda urgent. Thanks in advance

January 7, 2016

500 internal server error is a general error, did u managed to get a new Laravel installation working? Try to create a local environment (with folder structure) that is similar to your shared hosting server, then test that the Laravel installation is working, before porting over to the production site.

January 7, 2016

Also, as mentioned by previous commenter, you need to have a .htaccess in public_html folder to point to the subfolder public_html/your_app_name. That could be the problem.

• Angga

January 9, 2016

Just recently having this problem as well when deploying my laravel app to my shared hosting. here’s what i did to solve the issue:
    open .htaccess in your public/ directory and write:
    RewriteBase /

you should not get the 500 internal server error anymore.

January 9, 2016

Hey Angga, thx for that! I’ve read that somewhere but couldn’t get it to work myself. Will u be able to show us your full .htaccess ?

• Umaha

January 10, 2016

I got mine working. In cpanel, change php version to 5.5 and set php extensions to default. That should do it.

January 10, 2016

Thanks for sharing! 🙂

• Michael Coman

February 7, 2016

Hey there, i’ve tried installing laravel on my share webhosting the only downside is that it doesn’t recognize my Models. To be more specific when i try to access the index page it says FatalErrorException in BaseController.php line 92:
    Class ‘App\Model’ not found. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Cheers

Mentioning that i’ve done this tutorial step by step, with one minor detail ( i put the public/ files directly in the public_html/ directory and modified htaccess and other files accordingly). Mentioning as well i don’t have access to any php artisan commands, any ssh command for any of that matter. Cheers

February 8, 2016

Hi Michael,

Did you create a development environment to test your folder structure? If not, try using Homestead and create the exact folder structure and make sure it’s working first. It’s easier to debug in local environment.

Also, if you don’t have SSH or Artisan commands access, did you run composer install in your local environment before uploading to your shared hosting server? There could some file missing during the upload.

To clarify, did you create a new class “Model” in “BaseController”? Or is it the default Laravel’s Eloquent Model class? If it’s the default class, then probably the composer install didn’t run probably.

Just to be on the safe side, I would always test the folder structure with a brand new Laravel install so that I know the shared hosting server supports it.

• Michael Coman

February 8, 2016

I have tested it locally and it works, Model was a generic model name i used to paste the error. The model name is SiteCategories and i’ve used it to generate my category tree insite. So i am kinda stuck. Cheers

February 8, 2016

I see. Have you checked the casing of your file and folder names?
      I’ve got problem with my local environment (Mac OS) which was set to be case-insensitive.
      But since most shared hosting are using Linux, all file names are case sensitive.
      Try looking at the file path against the namespace and class. See if that’s the issue.

Clue: If your full namespace is “App\Model\Subfolder\SiteCategories“, then the full path must match the casing like this
      app\Model\Subfolder\SiteCategories.php“.

Take note that the folder “app” need not be in upper case because Laravel has been configured to read from that folder by default.

• Michael Coman

February 8, 2016

One of mg hunches would be that i can’t run the composer dump-autoload command so it would update its paths. They don’t quite match with the hostings paths. Having said that, if i don’t have ssh commands available won’t the config cache and any other caches “disable” the project ?

February 8, 2016

Hi Michael,
      Try to set up a local environment that has the same path as the hosting server. Once you’ve run composer update, the autoloading file will be updated in your local environment. That path is relative. So when you upload to your hosting server, it should work. The crucial step is to have the exact path replicated on your local machine. Are you using Laravel Homestead for development?

February 8, 2016

What does your hosting server folder structure look like? Maybe I can try to map out a similar structure in Laravel.

• Michael Coman

February 9, 2016

Heya,

Thank you for the quick replies. Sadly i’m not going home tonight so i can’t paste you the details. Will get back to you asap. But the structure is something along the lines of \home\public_html\.

• Abiodun Sulaiman

February 9, 2016

Good day all,
    Thanks for this great post.
    I followed this post every step of the way.
    I could access something like example.com/my_app_name
    example.com/my_app_name/sub_folder gives a 404 not found error
    e.g. a login redirect from example.com/my_app_name to example.com/my_app_name/auth/login returns 404 not found error.
    I believe I’m quite close to achieving this.
    Please, help.
    Thank you.

• Umaha Tokula

September 6, 2016

Hi were you able to make this work. If you did pls share

• Michael Coman

February 10, 2016

Somehow i finally managed to make it work, although now my resources aren’t load ( E.x: css/global.css ) and so on. Any thoughts ? Guessing the .htaccess file isn’t how it should be.

• Michael Coman

February 10, 2016

Hey there,

Managed to make it work somehow but nevertheless the resources aren’t loading at all, no images, no js, nothing …. Although public_path() returns the proper path … Again stuck … Any thoughts ?

March 15, 2016

Hi Michael, where is your file located? And what does the public_path() says? Have you tried using shortcode url()? For example url(‘assets/css/style.css’) gives your http://example.com/assets/css/style.css.

And make sure your files don’t have any space, if you do, then you need to replace spaces with ‘%20’, for example url(str_replace(‘ ‘, ‘%20’, your_image_path)).

• Abiodun Sulaiman

February 10, 2016

Good day again,
    Please, I need assistance with this:

I could access my laravel site on example.com/my_app_name
    But I could not access example.com/my_app_name/sub_folder, it gives me a 404 not found error
    What am I doing wrong, someone please?.
    Please, help.
    Thank you.

February 25, 2016

Hi there,

It’s very tricky to try to access a subfolder URL. This tutorial only works if you’re running from a subfolder but accessing it via a root domain. So I would suggest creating a sub domain for your case.

Example:
      my_app_name.example.com

February 25, 2016

Then you setup that sub domain to point to that sub folder as described in this blog.

• Matthew Smart

February 10, 2016

Hello i followed you steps and went to 5b way. I am getting the error –

The requested URL /api/index.php was not found on this server.

February 25, 2016

Where did you place that subfolder /api/? What’s your folder structure?

• Jeevan

March 15, 2016

Hi guys, I followed every step you recommended except my folder structure starts from app_name but I keep getting 404 error even though I changed Index file to /../../my_app_name/bootstrap/autoload.php.

I kept .htaccess unchanged

Please help me that, if it helps I am using cloud hosting

• Jeevan

March 15, 2016

Correction from above comment: I changed Index file to ../../my_app_name/bootstrap/autoload.php.

Hi Jeevan,

It could be an error with your .htaccess and index.html.

Can you show me your full folder structure and what you have in index.html and .htaccess?

• Jeevan

March 15, 2016

Thanks Andrews for quick help.

My folder structure:
          Root(FTP Host)
          -Application Name
          -public_html

.htaccess is same as it is from above code except I replaced app_name and site_address

I think its some thing wrong with my index.php

these are the two modifications I made:

require __DIR__.’/../../myappname/bootstrap/autoload.php’

$app = require_once __DIR__.’/../../myappname/bootstrap/app.php

March 15, 2016

To be very sure, is this the full structure of your server?

|--myappname
            |--public_html
            ----|--myappname
            --------|--assets
            --------|--index.php

• Jeevan

March 15, 2016

It looks similar to this

|–myappname
    |—vendor
    |–public_html
    |—myappname
    |—-index.php
    |—-.htaccess

I see.

In your GoPublic.php file, is this your path?

public function publicPath()
      {

return $this->basePath.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.’../public_html/your_app_name’;

}

Replace ‘../../ with just ‘../’ because your folder is 1 level higher than this tutorial.

• Jeevan

March 15, 2016

Still same error 404, may be i should change some thing in index.php ?

March 15, 2016

Are you using a subdomain for this application or redirect from a main domain?

• Jeevan

March 15, 2016

I am just using main domain,
            my .htaccess should be working fine because when i try to edit index.php, it was showing me an error in file it means index.php is accessible but the path from there causing the issue

March 15, 2016

I see. Try these 4 steps.

Step 1:

Edit your public_html/myappname/index.php with the following at the top of the page just after the php opening tag:

echo “OK”;
          return;

Refresh the URL and check that you can see “OK” text.

If you don’t see, then your index.php is not pointed correctly.

Step 2:

Below the echo “OK” (before return), add the following lines:

require __DIR__.'/../../myappname/bootstrap/autoload.php';
          echo "Done";

Refresh the URL and check that you can see “OK” and “Done” text.

If you don’t see, then your autoload.php path is incorrect.

Step 3:

Below the echo “Done” (before return), add the following lines:

$app = require_once __DIR__.'/../../myappname/bootstrap/app.php';
          echo "Finish";

Refresh the URL and check that you can see “OK”, “Done” and “Finish” text.

If you don’t see, then your app.php path is incorrect.

Step 4:

Undo all steps 1 to 3, but this time make sure you have the correct paths for autoload.php and app.php.

Refresh the URL and check that you can see the Laravel home page.

If you don’t see, then your application is not installed correctly. Try running ‘composer update’ again.

• Jeevan

March 15, 2016

Yes it looks exactly to your comment

• Jeet Dholakia

April 3, 2016

Hello,

I followed all the steps but getting this error “Fatal error: Class ‘App\GoPublic’ not found”

Please help

April 4, 2016

Did you run “composer dump-autoload” once so that the class gets registered? If you’ve tried it, check that you have the cases correct and the path be “app/GoPublic.php”. Show me a screenshot of your folder structure and the code in GoPublic.php.

• Jeet Dholakia

April 4, 2016

I am on Hostgator shared hosting, so can you tell me where to and how to run “composer dump-autoload” ? Folder structure is like: http://www.awesomescreenshot.com/image/1135527/0af5fa619d4cefca16e8bd87bdf93550

April 4, 2016

You need to connect via SSH to run it. If you don’t have SSH access, then you’ll need to run it on your local environment then upload the updated autoload files located inside vendor/composer. Have you tested your folder structure in your local environment first? It’s recommended to test it in homestead first.

• Jeet Dholakia

April 4, 2016

I have installed composer on my server using SSH but the thing is PHP version is 5.4.45 and its giving me error that php version should be of 5.5. I will test it on local environment. Can you tell me how to test this code on local environment using XAMPP?

Thank you.

April 4, 2016

Laravel version 5.1 onwards require PHP 5.5.9 or above. You need to contact your hosting provider to see if they support it. As for local environment, try https://laravel.com/docs/5.2/homestead, it’s the best environment because it’s a virtual linux machine.

• Jeet Dholakia

April 4, 2016

Hello,

I tried running “composer dump-autoload” on the server but still same error.

April 4, 2016

Can u show me the location of ur GoPublic.php file and its content

• Jeet Dholakia

April 4, 2016

Here is the location: http://www.awesomescreenshot.com/image/1135853/dddd246c43cf6c95d1b40ceac0146f2e

And the code is:

basePath.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.’../../public_html/askurprolv’;

April 5, 2016

Hi there, ur Laravel installation isn’t complete. Those files and folders are suppose to be inside a folder “app”. Ur “askurprolv” folder should contain the full Laravel source code.

• Jeet Dholakia

April 5, 2016

Its inside App folder only. GoPublic.php file is under app folder.

Structure is like: root/application/app/GoPublic.php

April 5, 2016

Ah, I see. Then should be fine. Can you go to folder “vendor/composer” and look for filename “autoload_classmap.php” and check if ‘App\\GoPublic’ is there? If not, try add this to the array

‘App\\GoPublic’ => $baseDir . ‘/app/GoPublic.php’,

• Jeet Dholakia

April 5, 2016

It wasnt there in the file, So I added ‘App\\GoPublic’ => $baseDir . ‘/app/GoPublic.php’, at the end. After this do I have to run any commands? because by just refreshing the page its not coming. You can check askurprolv.digitalbrackets.in

• Eric V. Woods

April 11, 2016

Getting a 403 Forbidden error. I gave /storage full read/write rights as suggested above but still get error. Any other suggestions?

April 14, 2016

Start investigating your public/index.php by going through line by line to see if your shared hosting has given you permission to access any folder outside public_html

• Azaz

April 13, 2016

Andrews I appreciate that you took time out of your schedule to write this guide, but I would not recommend hosting website on shared server. There is a huge risk to security. Also, the performance will not be really and there might be some limitations as well. There are better alternatives to it, like a managed cloud hosting. Some managed hosting, like Cloudways, offer dedicated hosting with one click installation feature that makes it a lot easier to install and configure application.

April 14, 2016

Thanks for the suggestion Azaz. This guide merely shows the possibility. The business decision is still up to individuals.

April 14, 2016

Also, from what I understand, managed cloud hosting have similar folder structure where public_html is accessible by public. So this guide applies too.

• Eric V. Woods

April 14, 2016

Thanks! I’ll take a look.

• Cooke Moore

April 22, 2016

Wow. I’d given up on getting Laravel 5.2 running on a CPanel VPS account. While waiting for some big iron services to provision, I found this post and decided to try again. This method is so smart, and still so easy to understand that I was even easily able to adjust the directory structure to my own needs. Thank you for sharing…

April 22, 2016

I’m glad it worked for you too!

• Hi every one, my name is Eduardo Santana from Dominican Republic.

I am new to Laravel.

The first moment I saw it, I loved. It was love at first sign.

At the moment I doing very well with Laravel locally, I am Using Wamp Server 3.0. It has PHP 5.6 and PHP 7. And Apache 2.4.

I followed all the steps in this tutorial locally and it is working seamless, like a charm, but on my shared hosting I upload the files, and still can’t make it work.
    I have been checking it all again and again but still not working.

Thanks to Andrews Ang for taking time to write this.

I am using Laravel 5.2, on a shared hosting from Justhost.com. I get 500 Internal Server Error.

Any suggestions, Any Advice?

Thanks agains.

May 1, 2016

Hi, 500 Internal server error is usually due to misconfiguration. Try renaming the htaccess in public folder to something else, then test index.php line by line. Check if there’s any permission error on your app/storage folder.

• Hi Andrews Ang.

thanks for the quick replay.

it was only after i send this message i started to read all of the comments from the post.

so i realize my problem. which was that my shared hosting had the php 5.4.

so once i chat with the support and they did the change to php 5.6 it worked like a charm.

thank you again.

and

god bless you.

May 1, 2016

Glad it worked out for you 🙂

• Haitham

May 22, 2016

I followed everything that you have done in this tutorial but i am getting error “404 not found” on live server only the home page route is working.
    Please, Could you help me with that ?

June 15, 2016

Did it work on your local testing environment? If so, then probably your PHP version may be wrong. You must have at least PHP 5.5.9 for Laravel 5 to work.

• Benatry

June 10, 2016

please i need an urgent help, i loaded my laravel 5.0 on a shared host. it loaded fine but my js and images are not working correctly. can any one help me. this is how i linked my js .

and below is how i linked my image.

please u can check the files at http://continentalbasiccollege.com.ng/

Thanks in anticipation

June 15, 2016

Hi, I see your JS and images are loading fine now. How did you fix it?

• Jeet Dholakia

June 27, 2016

I tried it on my local environment and its working fine. I tried echo “Hi” on my index file and its getting on the page. Here is what my htaccess look like: http://prntscr.com/blmuvu

July 4, 2016

Sorry for the late reply, I see your site is working now. How did you resolve it?

• Lenny

July 7, 2016

Andrew, Thanks for writing this guide. I’m new to Laravel and struggling a bit.

In my GoPublic.php, I want to perform an environment check and specify path based on that (I want to develop using my local public directory, and then when I’m ready to deploy just change APP_ENV).

if (App::environment(‘local’)) {
    return $this->basePath.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.’../public’;
    }

This code should check APP_ENV to see if it’s set to local, if it is, use public instead of public_html.

I’m getting an error “Class ‘App’ not found in GoPublic.php”.

I know that App is a Facade so I tried to include it using use App;

It’s still not working. What can I do?

Thanks.

• Lenny

July 11, 2016

Andrew,

I was able to get my website working properly using this setup, but my restful API routes are returning 404.

This is an example route in my routes.php

Route::group([‘prefix’ => ‘api’], function()
    {
    Route::get(‘tester/testMethod’, ‘TesterController@testMethod’);
    }

When I try to hit this route, I get a 404.

My site is using a subdomain, for example: test.testwebsite.com/api/tester/testMethod

This route is returning a 404, page not found.

I know that routes.php is being hit, because if I remove this code block:

Route::get(‘/’, function () {
    return view(‘index’);
    });
    Page break occurs.

What can I do to resolve this issue? Thanks a ton for your help.

• Ty

July 19, 2016

I follow all your instruction but it still not working.
    it show like this when I type by my website

Index of /

cgi-bin/
    css/
    error_log
    favicon.ico
    fonts/
    index123.html
    index1234.php
    robots.txt
    vendor/
    your_app_name/
    Apache Server at gmllhatdistribution.com Port 80

July 20, 2016

Hi, your folder structure is not the same as in my tutorial. Your folder ‘your_app_name’ should be outside the “public_html” folder. And you need to copy the content within “your_app_name/public” into your “public_html” folder. You may want to quickly rename index123.html back to index.html. Otherwise everyone can see your existing folder structure now. Not safe.

• Ty

July 21, 2016

Hi Andrew,
        My web application folder structure is like this
        Laravel source location: /application/your_app_name/
        index.php location :/public_html/
        require __DIR__.’/../../applications/your_app_name/bootstrap/autoload.php’;
        $app = require_once __DIR__.’/../../applications/your_app_name/bootstrap/app.php’;
        $kernel = $app->make(‘Illuminate\Contracts\Http\Kernel’);
        $response = $kernel->handle(
        $request = Illuminate\Http\Request::capture()
        );
        $response->send();
        $kernel->terminate($request, $response);

.htaccess file location in /public_html also

Options -MultiViews

# Do not change this line.
        RewriteEngine on

# Change example.com to your domain name
        RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?gmllhatdistribution.com/$

# Change your_app_name to the subfolder name
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/your_app_name/

# Don’t change the following two lines.
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

# Change your_app_name to the subfolder name
        # Change example.com to your domain name
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /your_app_name/$1
        RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?gmllhatdistribution.com$
        RewriteRule ^(/)?$ index.php [L]

but I still got the HTTP ERROR 500

July 21, 2016

Hi TY,

Your index.php path may be wrong. Since your index.php is directly inside “public_html”, your path should be:
          require __DIR__.’/../applications/your_app_name/bootstrap/autoload.php’;
          $app = require_once __DIR__.’/../applications/your_app_name/bootstrap/app.php’;

Note: Because my folder structure is one step deeper “public_html/my_app”, so yours is “/../applications” instead of “/../../applications”.

HTTP ERROR 500 is a general error, usually tells us that the file is not found.

• Ty

July 23, 2016

Hello Andrews,

How about my file .htaccess need to change also because I still got error file not found.
            Could you help to check it?

July 23, 2016

Hi Ty, your htaccess has a problem too. You don’t have a subfolder, so u don’t need to follow this. Just replace the htaccess with the one from Laravel public folder.

• Leo

July 20, 2016

Hi,

I cannot access to the page of my site if I don’t add index.php.

Here is my htacess in my public_html folder :

# Do not change this line.
    RewriteEngine on

# Change yourdomain.com to be your main domain.
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?mtlgigs.com$

# Change ‘subfolder’ to be the folder you will use for your main domain.
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/mtlgigs/

# Dont change this line.
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

# Change ‘subfolder’ to be the folder you will use for your main domain.
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /mtlgigs/$1

# Change yourdomain.com to be your main domain again.
    # Change ‘subfolder’ to be the folder you will use for your main domain
    # followed by / then the main file for your site, index.php, index.html, etc.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?mtlgigs.com$
    RewriteRule ^(/)?$ mtlgigs/index.php [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mtlgigs\.com$ [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.mtlgigs\.com$
    RewriteRule ^/?$ “mtlgigs” [R=301,L]

My former public folder is now in public_html/mtlgigs.
    My project is not in a applications folder but directly in mtlgigs.

If I type : mtlgigs.com/login is does not work
    If I type mtlgigs.com/index/php/login it works and it redirects me to : mtlgigs.com/mtlgigs/index/php/login
    If I try with a test file : mtlgigs.com/test.php it works

What can I do to access to my site without typing index.php

July 20, 2016

Hi Leo, that means your .htaccess is not set up correctly. I’m sorry I can’t help you if you’re not following my folder structure, it’s very difficult to see what you’re trying to do from my end.

• leo

July 20, 2016

Hi Andrews, I’ve changed the structure so it follow yours still the same problem Here is my config> I’m using Mamp Pro, my Document Root is pointing to htdocs/public_html to mimic what it is done with shared hosting.

My app is located inside htdocs/applications/mtlgigs
        The content of my former public folder is located htdocs/public_html/mtlgigs

Inside public_html I have a .htaccess

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?localhost$

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/mtlgigs/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /mtlgigs/$1
        RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?localhost
        RewriteRule ^(/)?$ mtlgigs/index.php [L]

Inside htdocs/applications/mtlgigs I have a .htaccess

Options -MultiViews
        RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
        RewriteRule ^ index.php [L]

I also created the GoPublic.php in htdocs/applications/mtlgigs/app. (Didn’t type composer dump-autoload and didn’t have a error)

basePath.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.’../../public_html/mtlgigs’;

The file app.php contains

* — add this new code — */
        $app = new App\GoPublic(
        realpath(__DIR__.’/../’)
        );

The index.php in applications/mtlgigs is

/**
        * Laravel – A PHP Framework For Web Artisans
        * @package Laravel
        * @author Taylor Otwell

$uri = urldecode(
        parse_url($_SERVER[‘REQUEST_URI’], PHP_URL_PATH)
        );

// This file allows us to emulate Apache’s “mod_rewrite” functionality from the
        // built-in PHP web server. This provides a convenient way to test a Laravel
        // application without having installed a “real” web server software here.
        if ($uri !== ‘/’ && file_exists(__DIR__.’/public’.$uri)) {
        return false;

require_once __DIR__.’/public/index.php’;

The index.php in public_html/mtlgigs is

require __DIR__.’/../../applications/mtlgigs/bootstrap/autoload.php’;

|————————————————————————–
        | Turn On The Lights
        |————————————————————————–
        | We need to illuminate PHP development, so let us turn on the lights.
        | This bootstraps the framework and gets it ready for use, then it
        | will load up this application so that we can run it and send
        | the responses back to the browser and delight our users.

$app = require_once __DIR__.’/../../applications/mtlgigs/bootstrap/app.php’;

If I type http://localhost/login I have

Not Found

The requested URL /mtlgigs/login was not found on this server.

If I type http://localhost/index.php/login it is working and the URL CHANGE to http://localhost/mtlgigs/index.php/login

Thanks for your help 🙂

• leo

July 20, 2016

I forgot to highlight the fact that if I go type : localhost/test.txt it displays my file which is located in public_html/mtlgigs/test.txt

But when I want to reach laravel it does not work without index.php

July 21, 2016

Hi Leo,

I think the problem lies in the .htaccess file that is not pointing to your index.php file correctly. Can you try 1 level up with this folder structure?

htdocs
      — applications
      . |– mtlgigs
      — public_html
      . |– index.php (and all other files copied from applications/mtlgigs/public)

Note that you need to change the path for app/GoPublic.php, and htdocs/public_html/index.php

Replace the .htaccess inside public_html with the one that comes with Laravel inside public folder.

See if you can get the site to work in MAMP Pro first at that level first.

• leo

July 20, 2016

Also, my other routes are not working localhost/example is not working localhost/another is not working too

• Thuy Dung

August 11, 2016

thanks very much, but i have a error with GoPublic.php,

Fatal error: Class ‘App\Illuminate\Foundation\Application’ not found =>> that my error.

i did run “composer dump-autoload” but not work, please help me, thanks

August 11, 2016

Hi Thuy, I think you’re missing a slash in front.

Instead of “Illuminate\Foundation\Application”, type “\Illuminate\Foundation\Application”.

If you leave out the slash in front, Laravel will try to look for the class within the current folder.

• Gabriel

August 12, 2016

Great, it worked perfectly. Just a question, only works if I put in the url ‘index.php’, there is any way that works without the index.php?

August 12, 2016

Hi Gabriel, it’s under point 5, you need to either using a subdomain or change your public_html’s htaccess to direct to the subfolder. Currently I’m still figuring out how to make it work as a subfolder of a domain, but so far no outcome yet.

• Gabriel

August 13, 2016

Andrews thanks for answer. I also created the subdomain but doesn’t work. If I put ‘http://mysubdomain.mydomain.org/index.php/api/v1.0/productos’ works, but if I put ‘http://mysubdomain.mydomain.org/api/v1.0/productos’ without index.php doesn’t work

August 13, 2016

Is there a .htaccess file within ur folder? Check if the hosting server allows htaccess override

• Gabriel

August 19, 2016

No there isn’t. With the subdomain must have?

August 19, 2016

Hi Gabriel, yes, Laravel’s public folder comes with a htaccess file, that’s for resolving the /index.php/ problem you’re having. Copy that into your public_html/myapp/ folder and it should work.

• Ethan

August 12, 2016

Hi Andrew thanks for your detailed explanation, but my application is not working, instead I get a blank page when I type the sub-domain which points to the application folder in public_html.
    I have tried to test the index.php with an echo message, but I still get a blank screen, then I replaced the index.php codes line by line and I got the echo message, but whenever I add the final code shown below, all echo responses from the index.php disappears.

$kernel = $app->make(Illuminate\Contracts\Http\Kernel::class);

$response = $kernel->handle(
    $request = Illuminate\Http\Request::capture()
    );

$response->send();

$kernel->terminate($request, $response);

Please what could be the problem?

P.S:
    I’m using Laravel 5.0

August 12, 2016

Hi Ethan, it seems like a correct (blank) result. The final codes are the laravel code, it should be working correctly if your path above is correct. Did you try echoing from bootstrap\autoload.php and bootstrap\app.php as well? See if the files are being called correctly. Are you testing locally or directly on the hosting server? Best to test locally with Homestead first.

• Ethan

August 13, 2016

I have tried echoing from the autoload.php but it shows a blank page also, I’m testing directly on the hosting server, and I’m using wamp server locally. Also my PHP version is 5.4. could it be the cause?

• Umaha Tokula

September 6, 2016

Hi Andrew, will this tutorial work for a Laravel 5.3 application?

• apluslabs

September 30, 2016

its work bro,
      i was try in my server.

October 6, 2016

Thanks for clarifying! I’ve yet to try 5.3. 🙂

• Reid

October 6, 2016

Hi Andrews! Great tutorial. This may have a simple answer, but would my app work if I just upload my public folder from laravel to my “public_html” folder? I.E. is the public folder a stand-alone “unit” that just works as as-is PHP files?

October 6, 2016

Hi Reid, yes it should work. The file “index.php” is the main file that will be called automatically by the server if you place the content within the “public_html” folder (provided you don’t have other index.php file). But do note that my examples are not the same, so you need to change certain paths to make it work.

• niki2k1

October 9, 2016

Can you help me?, I get always a
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘class’ (T_CLASS), expecting identifier (T_STRING) or variable (T_VARIABLE) or ‘{‘ or ‘$’ in /home/www/doc/7847/dcp78470003/project.niki2k1.de/www/project/index.php on line 50

Also with other Tutorials the same thing?

• niki2k1

October 9, 2016

Thats on line 50: $kernel = $app->make(Illuminate\Contracts\Http\Kernel::class);

October 10, 2016

Hi, your PHP version is probably wrong. That error message sounds like it could be because of PHP 5.5’s class name resolution. Have you checked your PHP version? From Laravel 5.1 and 5.2, you need at least PHP 5.5.9. For Laravel 5.3, you need at least 5.6.4.

• Edwin

October 30, 2016

Hi. Thank you so much for this guide. It worked for me but I have an extra issue. What if I want to do all of this AND redirect all http:// to https://

Any help will be much appreciated. Sorry for my bad english.

November 5, 2016

Hi Edwin, if you’re using Apache, to redirect http:// to https:// you should use .htaccess instead.

• Tom Harrison

November 4, 2016

Hi, this works great but I have a problem with the url, It now reads like this http://domain.com/app_name/app/ (displays the index page here)

my folder structure is app_name > 2 folders app(contains public folder)/laravel (contains rest of files)

November 5, 2016

Hi Tom, my method would only work if the public folder is directly accessed via a domain (e.g. domain.com) or subdomain (e.g. app.domain.com). To make it work for sub folders, you may need to work around the .htaccess configuration at the root domain folder domain.com. I’ve accidentally managed to do it on my own site when I was configuring my wildcard SSL certificate, but I’m not exactly sure which lines worked. Something along these lines:
      # Custom subdomain .htaccess SSL + WordPress
      RewriteEngine On
      RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^subdomain.maindomain.com$
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/subfolder/
      RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /subfolder/$1
      RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^subdomain.maindomain.com$
      RewriteRule ^(/)?$ subfolder/index.php [L]
      # End custom subdomain .htaccess

November 5, 2016

Your folder structure may expose your core codes to the public, because anyone can access domain.com/app_name/laravel to see your contents. You may want to move the laravel codes to somewhere not accessible by the public.

• Umaha Tokula

November 7, 2016

Hi, Everything works fine but images on other pages other than homepage don’t show. My app involves uploading images and when i do, they are uploaded to applications/my_app/public but the pages try to load from public_html/my_app which of course it cannot find.

Any help is appreciated

November 8, 2016

Hi, are you using the helper url()? Can you echo it and see what it shows?

• Stephen Paul Samynathan

November 14, 2016

Hi. I tried your method. However when I go to the url, I can only see folder list of that public_html. Any thing that I can do to solve this?

November 14, 2016

Did you copy the files inside Laravel public folder into your site’s public_html? Inside public_html you should have an .htaccess file and the index.php file. If you see folder list that means there’s no default file (i.e. index.php is missing.

• Bjorn

November 14, 2016

Hello Andrews

I tried your method, but i get an http 500 error.

When I try the same setting in xampp, offline, it won’t work either. When I go to the public_html folder, the htaccess file is not loaded. I see the structure (so all the maps and folders) but it only contains my_app_name folder. Should the htaccess file also load when I try it on localhost?

Any ideas why it won’t work?

November 14, 2016

Hi, yes, your htaccess should be loaded on localhost as well. It could be XAMPP issue. Have you checked that Apache is set to allow override? See this solution http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17162214/htaccess-not-working-on-localhost-with-xampp

• Bjorn

November 15, 2016

Hey Andrews. I followed the instructions in your link. The htaccess file still won’t work. I get this error.

Access forbidden!

You don’t have permission to access the requested object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 403

November 24, 2016

Hi, was this error on your localhost XAMPP? For Apache environment the public accessible folder must be within the /var/www or /var/public_html folder. Were you trying to access a folder outside that path?

• Bjorn

January 10, 2017

Hello Andrew,

I still don’t got the Laravel 5 running. I switched to AllowOverRide all as you told me in the previous answer.

I get the following error:
            Warning: require(C:\xampp\htdocs\blog1\public_html\Laravel5/../../applications/Laravel5/bootstrap/autoload.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\blog1\public_html\Laravel5\index.php on line 22

Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required ‘C:\xampp\htdocs\blog1\public_html\Laravel5/../../applications/Laravel5/bootstrap/autoload.php’ (include_path=’C:\xampp\php\PEAR’) in C:\xampp\htdocs\blog1\public_html\Laravel5\index.php on line 22

PHP is running version 5.6.24, which i tested with the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJZNiCf_dyE

Any ideas?

• Bjorn

January 11, 2017

Forget about my previous post, it works!

Great many thanks!

• Francesco Parisi

November 22, 2016

I tried a slightly different configuration, my filesystem is organized like so:

-project
    –app
    –bootstrap
    –config
    –database
    –resources
    –storage
    –tests
    –vendor
    –.env
    –server.php
    -public_html
    –index.php
    –.htaccess

in short, I don’t need to have a my_app folder in public_html, because I’ve only one app. under /project/app I’ve GoPublic.php

basePath.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.’../../public_html’;

* @author Taylor Otwell

$uri = urldecode(
    parse_url($_SERVER[‘REQUEST_URI’], PHP_URL_PATH)
    );

// This file allows us to emulate Apache’s “mod_rewrite” functionality from the
    // built-in PHP web server. This provides a convenient way to test a Laravel
    // application without having installed a “real” web server software here.
    if ($uri !== ‘/’ && file_exists(__DIR__.’/’.$uri)) {
    return false;

require_once __DIR__.’/index.php’;

and .env with my domain in App_URL

APP_URL=http://www.my_domain.com

in /public_html I’ve index.php withe two lines relative to bootstrap wrote like so:

require __DIR__.’/../project/bootstrap/autoload.php’;

$app = require_once __DIR__.’/../project/bootstrap/app.php’;

I also have .htaccess,

# Do not change this line.
    RewriteEngine on

# Change my_domain.com to your domain name
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?my_domain.com$

# Change your_app_name to the subfolder name
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/

# Don’t change the following two lines.
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

# Change your_app_name to the subfolder name
    # Change my_domain.com to your domain name
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /$1
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?my_domain.com.com$
    RewriteRule ^(/)?$ /index.php [L]

unfortunately when I try to visit http://www.mydomain.com I receive a connection reset message from Firefox.
    I think that the problem is related to the htaccess, where I’m doing wrong?

November 24, 2016

Hi, in your GoPublic.php, can you try this path instead?
      basePath.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.’../public_html’;
      The ‘../’ should only be 1 since your structure is 1 level shallower than mine.
      Also, since you are only hosting 1 application within public_html (and it’s directly there), you don’t have to set domain name.
      Simply replace htaccess with the default one from Laravel and it should work automagically.

Cheers,
      Andrews

• Francesco Parisi

November 24, 2016

hi,

I found that a Laravel app is incompatible with Zend Optimizer, I resolved the problem in .htaccess in this way 🙂

php_flag opcache.enable Off

Options -MultiViews

RewriteEngine On

# Redirect Trailing Slashes If Not A Folder…
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
        RewriteRule ^(.*)/$ /$1 [L,R=301]

# Handle Front Controller…
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
        RewriteRule ^ index.php [L]

# Handle Authorization Header
        RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization} .
        RewriteRule .* – [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]

November 24, 2016

Thx for sharing!

• violetann

November 24, 2016

Just wanted to say thank you, This helped me SO MUCH! I have just got into Laravel 5.3 and I wanted to host my projects on my shared host in a subdomain and this helped me to get it working.

November 24, 2016

I’m glad it helped! 🙂

• Navas

December 23, 2016

Thanks buddy, do it L5.2 to godaddy shared hosting.

• khactung

December 28, 2016

Hi you,
    If I create login session for base then can sub project get that session ?

• Alex

December 30, 2016

Thanks Andrew! I’m happy to say that it took far fewer steps than I expected:

1) Changed laravel directory structure to work with my shared hosting addon domain.
    2) Edited the public index.php with new relative path (“Step 3”)
    3) Works!

What tripped me up for a while: need to run
    artisan config:cache
    artisan cache:clear
    before copying files over from local development.

• Luítame De Oliveira

January 5, 2017

This not work for me. I’m using Laravel 5.3. When try to access an URI the server launch an error 404.

January 12, 2017

Could be some path issue. Will you share a screenshot of what you have done to all the files and your folder structure? What environment are you using to test it? Homestead?

• vivekpadhye

January 9, 2017

Why put it outside public_html directory. I tried it inside. Example.
    Public_html
    — subdomain folder
    — laravel folder + all contents from public folder outside this folder
    then make changes inside index.php & htaccess
    and it works.

what are security risks?

January 12, 2017

Everything within the public_html folder is accessible by the public (any users), if they know the path. If you are hosting the Laravel application in a subdomain (sharing the same public_html folder but in a subfolder), then someone could easily guess the path and try to access it from the main domain (bypassing the Laravel routing). It will still work with .htaccess set up properly, this step is just an additional security layer.